Wanda Czełkowska was born in 1930 in Brześć, Poland, she studied sculpture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow, graduating in 1954. During her studies, she collaborated with renowned modernist Polish sculptor Xawery Dunikowskion the Monument to the Liberation of the Region of Warmia and Mazury (1954) in Olsztyn. Her style became increasingly abstract, and, throughout the following decades, Czełkowska worked a lot with monumental drawings on canvas that she treated in terms of sculpture (Bird 1978, Elegy 1990) and installations (such as The Evening Full of Grains, 1993).
In 1963, she had her first solo show at the Krzysztofory Gallery in Krakow, a venue commonly used by the Second Kraków Group (which Czelkowska joined in 1967) to exhibit works of its members. This collective was an avant-garde group continuing the tradition of the First Kraków Group (1933-37). As part of her first solo show in Krzysztofory, one of the works which Czełkowska presented was the sculpture Players (1963). The artist likes to present this sculpture as figurative “primitivism”, in a similar vein with her other sculptures from the early 1960s. Currently living and working in Warsaw, she is a regular guest and laureate at major international art fairs, while her works are shown around the world.